Saturday, September 11, 2010

What a day of sorrow, reflection, memories, and the question "Where were you on Sept 11, 2001?" The day is as is as easy to remember as it were yesterday.
Bruce and I had flown out of Lubbock to go to Maine for a pecan conference on Sept. 10. We should have arrived in NH to rent a car and drive on to Maine that day, but due to fires at the Newark airport we were delayed in Houston until 7 that night. We boarded a plane, which I remember feeling very strange about doing. We arrived in Newark at about midnight on the 10th. Due to the late hours we had to just spend the night in the airport. We went to our gate early in the morning and we commented that the sunrise on the twin towers was amazing coming up between the two towers. We boarded our plane and left the Newark airport (the very same time and airport that the Flight 93 left, the one that went down in the field in PA). We arrived in NH and got off the plane just in time to see the news as the second plane hit the second tower. We were horrified to say the least, at the time we had no clue what was going on. We proceeded to try to call the girls Tamara in OKC and Jessa in Lubbock and my mom. Seemed it took hours to get them, but what a releif when we finally got to speak to them. We spent 2 night in a B&B in Bar Harbour ME and then started the long drive home. Bruce spent many an night conforting me on the side of a motel bed as I cried "take me home, I just wanna go home." The skies were almost erie with no planes flying in the sky and I remember the first day they released the planes to fly and we could see the jet stream in the air. You never know how much you miss seeing that sight. The flags flying, hanging over the overpasses and people marching back and forth on bridges carrying them. What an awesome sight, just a connection from one person to the next. We had bonded. On Sunday after that we reached OKC and spent a day with Tamara & Jas, went to chruch with them and then to the state fair to hear a concert by Martina McBride. The next day we headed to Lubbock to see Jessa. You just can't beleive the overwhelming feelings that you have a time like this. Seeing my girls was the best treatment I could have. What a joy to see them and hold them and know all were safe. I will never for get where I was on 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment